Monday, May 4, 2009

Social Networking websites asking for email password when signning up, safe?

Hello, I received email from these social networking websites telling me my friends have invited me to join the 'community' (a quick check with my friends confirmed the invitation by them.). My problem is, during the sign up process, it asks for my email's *REAL* password. Is it safe? If it is, WHY DO THEY DO THIS?





Websites that I have encountered such sign up dilemma: Tagged, Flixster.

Social Networking websites asking for email password when signning up, safe?
Are you sure it wants your email password, not just a password for that social networking account that you're making?





I agree: Why would a social networking website want your email password? Honestly though, you're better off with either Myspace or Facebook for that matter or if you really need to register for that site, then make a dummy email account.





Good luck and be safe.
Reply:I would use a web based, "Throwaway" email address such as can be had at yahoo, excite, google and hundreds of other places.


No comments:

Post a Comment